At De Lacy, our vision of a creative curriculum is currently under-development. Our vision for this curriculum will encompass the following:
All learning for a term will be wrapped up in a creative theme such as ‘Back in Time’ or ‘Pole to Pole’. This enables our teachers to teach other areas of the curriculum such as Art, Science, PE, DT, History, Geography and Music in a creative, exciting and relevant way. It also means pupils are given more opportunities to apply their skills in English, Maths, as well as utilising the De Lacy Values curriculum, promoting the school’s 6Rs, British Values, PSHE and Growth Mindset to other areas of learning.
- In KS1 and KS2, curriculum learning can be seen in each child's Topic book;
- There will be key text(s) that will maximise reading opportunities and extended writing;
- Speaking and Listening will be embedded within teaching and learning that includes the teaching of specific vocabulary;
- Real experiences which provide and reinforce context for children
(trips, visitors, props, role-play etc…);
- Extensive opportunities for basic skills in English and Maths to be developed and applied;
- Links to prior learning and clear progression within skills developed;
- A broad range of activities that incorporate and include visual, auditory and kinaesthetic learning styles.
All evidence of work and progress made by the children will be recorded within a ‘topic themed book’. This will enable children to reflect upon their individual learning journeys and self-assess against the key attributes and required outcomes.